Immigration and Criminal Defense in a Post-Padilla Era
About the Program:This course focuses on defense counsel's 6th Amendment duty under the 2010 U.S. Supreme Court's decision, Padilla v. KY, to advise non-citizen clients of the consequences of criminal conviction. This course also covers some basics of immigration law including the types of immigration status, how to determine your client's status, the ways in which a non-citizen client can be removed from the
$50 - Private attorneys actively taking public defender appointments.
$100 - All other criminal defense attorneys.
Please mail tuition in the form of a check made payable to “State Public Defenders Office” to:
State Public Defender
This program has been approved for 4.0 total Continuing Legal Education Credits.
Here are brief instructions to get you started.
Creating a User Account:
1. Go to http://training.wisspd.org
2. Click on Create new account (in the “Login” box on the top right of the screen)
3. Fill out the form with your details.
4. An email will be immediately sent to your email address.
5. Read your email, and click on the web link it contains.
6. Your account will be confirmed and you will be logged in.
7. Now, select the course you want to participate in.
8. If you are prompted for an "enrollment key" - use the one that the SPD has given you. This will "enroll" you in the course.
9. You can now access the full course. From now on you will only need to enter your personal username and password to log in and access any course you have enrolled in.
Navigating the Course:
1. The “enrollment key” for Immigration and Criminal Defense in the Post-Padilla Era is 201.
2. The course is divided into a number of sections, including brief videos, PDF documents and short quizzes. It is not necessary to finish the course in one sitting.
3. The videos and PDFs open in a separate window. When finished with a video or PDF, simply close the window to return to the course.
4. The quizzes open within the course itself. When finished with a quiz, click on the “Immigration Nov 2010” button in the upper left of the screen or at the bottom of the screen to return to the course.
If you have any questions about the SPD’s on-demand training, please feel free to contact the SPD Training Division.
“Like” us on Facebook for a chance to win a $50 credit for use towards future SPD training seminars.